Retail Property Classifications

If you would like to understand more about the various types of retail property in the UK, please see the information below, which explains and provides examples of all the main types of retail use classes. The information is intended as a guide only.

These classifications were established, because the various types of retail property have their type of permitted use defined by the local authority. The rationale for these classifications, is to ensure that the local council's plans for their area are carried out, which helps with town planning and local development.

Retail Use Class E:

Shops and Retail Outlets. 
From September 2020 the following types of shops have been re-classed from Use Class A1 to Use Class E.

  • Retail sales of goods.
  • Hairdressing.
  • Key cutting.
  • Cafes selling cold food, where no cooking takes place.        
  • Sale of tickets.
  • Travel Agency.
  • The reception of goods to be cleaned or repaired.
  • Post Offices.

Professional Services.
From September 2020 the following uses have been re-classed from A2 to Use Class E.

  • Financial Services.
  • Professional Services, such as Estate Agents

Food and Drink
From September 2020 cafes and restaurants have been re-classed from Use Class A3 to Use Class E. 

  • The sale of hot food and drink for consumption usually on the premises. In other words restaurants.

Sui Generis Use – Drinking Establishments:
From September 2020 the following has been re-classed from Use Class A4 to Sui Generis Use.

  • Pubs, Wine Bars or other drinking establishments such as nightclubs.

Sui Generis – Hot Food Takeaway:
From September 2020 the following has been re-classed from Use Class A5 to Sui Generis Use.

  • For preparing hot food to takeaway off the premises.

For further information on Use Class:
Savills have published a complete guide that can be viewed here.